In true embodiment of the university’s motto Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), thousands of faculty and staff devote their time, talents, and resources to community organizations and the university each year.
Some of the service activities employees are involved in include:
- The Relay For Life event held on campus each April is the most successful college event in the country, raising more than half a million dollars each year.
- The Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign is an annual workplace giving campaign for all state employees. Nearly 1,300 charities benefit from the funds donated each year.
- The Big Event during which students and employees work together to give back to the local community by completing more than 1,000 service projects (in one day) in the New River Valley each spring.
- Each fall, faculty and staff donate to the Marching Virginians' Hokies for the Hungry canned food drive.
- Many employees work in cooperation with students each year, building bridges in third world countries and helping communities become sustainable as part of the university’s service-learning curriculum.
- Some employees help students move onto campus each fall.
- Many employees volunteer in their communities, serving in leadership positions in local government and on nonprofit boards throughout the state.
- Throughout the year, employees host college and department wide clothing and food drives and charity events.